Monday, September 17, 2007

Thanks, Stranger.

I am feeling grateful this morning since a complete stranger helped me out. I realized in short order that strangers help me out all of the time. Maybe it's where I live. Maybe it's my oh-so-radiant personality. Maybe I'm just plain blessed. Whatever the reason, I would like to thank these people with more than a smile and wave. From this weekend:

  • Thanks Mr. man walking his dogs! I appreciate your frantic waving before I pulled away from the curb. I completely forgot that I set my coffee on the roof of my car. You changed my whole morning.
  • Thanks My Girl's owner! I know you're not a stranger anymore, although I still don't know your name. But you were a stranger the first time you stopped over three years ago to let my son pet your dog. My Girl is a lovely dog and you are a lovely person. I'm glad to see you every day.
  • Thanks Ms. fast walker with the short hair for reminding my son to look before crossing the alley. And thank you even more for smiling at me afterwards and telling me that your son was six once too.
  • Thanks to the many, many drivers who have waved us across the street while you sat at the stop sign longer than necessary.

2 comments:

Mary Witzl said...

I have people like that to thank too -- especially the man who flicked his high beams at me a few weeks back to remind me that I didn't have my lights on. And here's to all the people who have been brave enough to tell me when I've had sicked-up milk-and-oatmeal on my shoulder or tomato sauce on my face...

Jen said...

I'd like to thank the guy in my apartment complex that sees me coming up the driveway in my truck and grabs his toddlers hand. Nothing makes me more nervous than driving past a little kid when there's no one holding on to them...