Thursday, September 13, 2007

Don't tell me the score!

Jake and I are watching Women's World Cup Soccer. I am Tivoing it and we're watching it in 30 minute increments since we can't seem to find a big enough block of time during the week for a whole game. We're watching game 1 right now. Abby Wombach just left the field with a bloody gash on her head and the North Koreans scored twice (twice!!!) in short succession. And then it was five minutes past time to read books so we had to save the rest for tonight.

Because Jake specifically asked to watch this, because a boy is watching women play a sport and finding nothing odd about that, because I remember hopping up on the boundary wall and watching semi-pro soccer when I was a kid and I'm excited to share a sport with Jake that Nick won't horn in on and take over with opinions and freakish knowledge of history and statistics, because I saw Jake pay close attention to his soccer coach last night, because of all these things I will not look up the score. I will not! But I have to say that it's really, really hard to resist. I'm turning on that game 30 seconds after I walk through the door tonight. And oh, do I hope that Wombach is ok.

I really hope that I'm spelling her name correctly, but I don't dare google it because I'll see the score!

5 comments:

Mary Witzl said...

What a funny post!

I admire you for being interested in soccer and understanding it -- and watching it with your son. I am pathetically ignorant of all sports and dare not watch sports to catch up as 1) I would only shame myself by revealing more of my ignorance, and 2) I secretly -- well, not so secretly, really -- find sports a colossal bore. Plus, we don't have a connected t.v., so it's a moot point anyway... Still, I always admire other women who can watch AND follow sports, and make intelligent and pertinent comments.

Ariel05 said...

This reminds me that I wanted to tape some of the soccer to watch with Tess.

Jen said...

Wow, you have more willpower than I do. I thrive on spoilers. I can't get enough of them. Suspense drives me crazy.

Mary Witzl said...

Since Jen has just made that confession, I have to make one too: sometimes I flip to the end of the book and read the very ending, when the suspense gets too unbearable. If I find that I don't like the ending, I often consider not finishing the book.

Awful, isn't it?

Christy said...

Oh no! It's Wambach. I misspelled it. Wouldn't you know!

And honestly, I would never do this for anyone but my kids. I hate surprises. I peek at presents, read the last page of books, fastforwards to the end. But for Jake? I can wait. Sort of.

BTW, it was a tie and a hell of a game.