Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Weeping to See Fair Daffodil

I am ready for spring. It's an unusual feeling for me. I love winter, especially if it's brutally cold and bright. Winter is almost always cop show. This year, though, winter got a late start. By the time the lovely freeze burrowed into my lungs, I was bored of waiting for it. We did get some snow (which delighted the children) but I mostly humbugged my way through it. Now my house and soul are stuffy and in need of a good airing. So bring it on, daffodils! When I see your yellow heads, I know that I can throw open my windows. I am ready to scrub my walls, shine the windows, till the soil. I am ready for the delicate tenacity of new leaves in the spring winds and rolling storms. I am ready to bury winter for this year and move on to the bustle of a new season.

5 comments:

Geri said...

I hear ya! Bring on spring! I hear it is going to be in the 50's next week! WAHOO!!!

Katie Alender said...

I think we skipped straight to summer here -- it's been HOT, which makes me sad. But I know what you mean -- I was shocked to see little sproutlets of green covering the tree I look at through the bathroom window every day. I usually wax melancholy on its desperation to hold onto the last couple of leaves, but now it went and made a bunch of new ones.

Lisa @ The Plain-Spoken Pen said...

Well, nothing new and green is growing here yet, but it's not so cold anymore. I'm ready for spring, too. The little bit of winter we've had is plenty for me!

Laura said...

Amen. Especially since it's still below zero here today. Spring can come ANY day now.

Chris Wasielewski said...

AMEN!!! Bring it on!!

Chris