Friday, March 9, 2007

A sad, sad cake tale and a lenten recipe

I'm sick. Everyone take a moment to feel sorry for me. So yesterday, I had two meetings that I could not miss. I dragged myself into the office, kept to myself as much as possible, and trudged through my day accomplishing an astonishing amount of work. I wonder if I should get sick more often as it seems to be a boon for my productivity. Anyway, I arrived home to find subsection 16.8 of Murphy's law in evidence. That's the section that states, "The amount of do-gooder responsibility is inversely proportional to the amount of energy a woman has to spare." In other words, I had to make a cake for Jake's school. I powered through making dinner and the cake. I fended off multiple cake feints by both husband and boy. "No you may NOT eat that cake! It's for the fish fry! Don't even THINK about eating the cake! I can see you thinking about eating that cake, you know." After dinner, the kids were working on their homework while we adults were clearing the table. Nick and I were periodically spelling words for Jake and reminding Claire to share share SHARE the markers. I looked over Jake's shoulder to check his work and saw something on the periphery. Or more accurately, I didn't see someone on the periphery. And then...I heard a giggle. "Noooooooooooooo!" Too late. Claire had snuck over to the counter, snaked her little hand up and taken a big chunk of cake. Knowing she was caught, she attempted to shove the entire illicit lump of cake into her mouth. Jake knew better than to attack the cake, but the huge crumbs on the floor were fair game. He hit the floor running and started snuffling up the cake crumbs like a dog. Nick went to the grocer and bought another cake. I ate a big piece of the ruined cake with my tea. And I have to admit, I was a little bit glad that Claire ruined it. Tonight, we're eating this unless I'm too tired. Plus cake, of course.

Aslam's Mash Daal [Lentils] (serves 6)

Recipe from Operation Rice Bowl
  • 3 cups dried lentils
  • 1½ onion, thinly sliced
  • 5 cups water
  • 1½ tsp chili powder
  • ¼ tsp turmeric
  • ¼ cup oil
  • 2 tsp ginger
  • 1 Tbsp cumin
  • 1-4 cloves garlic, chopped (to taste)
  • 2 tomatoes, chopped
  • Salt (to taste)

Wash and drain the lentils. In a large pot heat the oil, and then add thinly sliced onions, garlic, ginger, turmeric, salt and, cumin, and chili powder. Fry until golden brown and crisp. Add the tomatoes and stir well for about 10 minutes.

Add the water and heat until it reaches a boil. Put lentils in the pot and continue to cook at a full boil, stirring frequently, until the lentils are half-cooked. Finally, put on the lid and simmer for 20 minutes. Serve hot over rice.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Too funny about your cake. Did I ever tell you the story about how Julia ate the top off a cake I left out to cool once? At least you're sick now and not next week. :)

Ariel05 said...

OMG, I laughed all the way through that. Yeah for Nick taking care of the matter for you.

Chris Wasielewski said...

I wish I could be as relaxed as you. What a GREAT attitude. Me, I probably would've collapsed in defeat on my kitchen floor! LOL

Chris