Thursday, May 3, 2007

13 things that make my life sweet

Earlier today, I was complaining to a friend about people not appreciating their good fortune. That comment boomeranged right back around and smacked me on my forehead. I am extremely fortunate and I have a charmed life in many ways. Here are thirteen of them in no particular order.

    1. My husband loves me as I am. He has never once suggested that I should be thinner, funnier, earn more, or dress a certain way. After almost 9 years of marriage, his most frequent complaint is that he doesn't get to spend enough one-on-one time with me. That's a sweet, sweet blessing.
    2. I have people in my life who really understand me. They know who I am and where I'm coming from, and I don't need to explain every little thing to them.
    3. People laugh at my jokes most of the time.
    4. I'm healthy.
    5. I live in a beautiful neighborhood. I can walk to two parks. I can take the trash out after dark. My neighbors adore my children, as does the nice lady who walks her dog while I'm rushing out to my car in the morning. If something happened to us, people would mow our lawn.
    6. I live in a wonderful parish. There are opportunities for personal growth. There are enough Mass times that I can't use oversleeping as an excuse not to attend. The music is good. The priests are good homilists.
    7. We are in a stable financial situation. I don't lose sleep worrying about the mortgage.
    8. My son has a laugh like a carnival ride. He laughs every day, almost.
    9. My daughter grabs my face, kisses me on the mouth, then nods her head curtly at a job well done.
    10. I have a secure job with a solid company. I don't worry about being laid off or reorganizations or anything, really. I have a job here for as long as I want to be here.
    11. My husband still makes me swoon, more often than not.
    12. Jacob makes me chase him to give him a kiss, but he doesn't really run that fast.
    13. I can still fix anything that ails Claire with a hug and a tickle.

No comments: