Wednesday, February 14, 2007

I love him.

   i like my body when it is with your
body. It is so quite a new thing.
Muscles better and nerves more.
i like your body. i like what it does,
i like its hows. i like to feel the spine
of your body and its bones, and the trembling
-firm-smooth ness and which i will
again and again and again
kiss, i like kissing this and that of you,
i like,, slowly stroking the, shocking fuzz
of your electric fur, and what-is-it comes
over parting flesh . . . . And eyes big Love-crumbs,

and possibly i like the thrill

of under me you quite so new
That's by ee cummings and it is one of my favorite poems. I have trouble sometimes talking about the good of my husband. It is so much easier to vent about the stolen Time magazine, the video game habit, all those things that chip away at a marriage. Verbalizing the good is more difficult - it takes poetry. Prose dries out the love and turns it to something less. I am no poet. After a few rough months, Nick and I are good again. I remember that I like the hows of him, both in body and mind. I am rediscovering how it feels to be One in a marriage - muscles better, nerves more, me more, him more. It's a miraculous thing, to be so loved by a person that you can be completely yourself without guard or protection. It's a miraculous thing to so love another person that he needs no guard or protection. So there it is. I do not know exactly why I love Nick, but I do. I could list all the wonderful things about him, but those things are not why I love him. I just like the thrill of him (not quite) so new.

4 comments:

Heather New said...

That's lovely.

Laura said...

Lovely is a good word. :)

Lisa @ The Plain-Spoken Pen said...

That's a beautiful thing. :-)

I'd never read that poem before, but I like it.

I'm glad you and Nick are good again.

Nikole said...

It's good to be good again.