Thursday, October 2, 2008

How to (not) Knit a Hat for a Newborn

Cast on 60 stitches. Knit for 5". Decrease 6 stitches evenly, every other row. Stop after 4 decrease rows to admire your work. Notice that the hat looks like it would fit your 3 year old daughter's head. Bribe said daughter with a tootsie roll to try on the unfinished hat. Curse. Rip.

Cast on 42 stitches. Attempt to join and realize that your size 8 circular needle is too long. Dig in bag and find size 7 double points. Briefly consider getting up and hunting for size 8 double points, then decide it's not worth the effort. Transfer to size 7s. Knit for a few inches. Notice that the hat looks like it would fit a fetus. Curse. Rip.

Cast on 50 stitchs to size 7 double points. Knit two rows. Notice that it's time for bed. Curse. Sleep.

2 comments:

Monica said...

Oh my goodness! I'm going to be working on a hat for a newborn this weekend and I feel sure I'm going to be cursing and ripping!

Christy said...

Well, if I would just take the time to swatch instead of just digging in, I might have wasted less time. Oh well, I yam who I yam. I did get the hat finished in time for the shower, so whew!