Monday, December 11, 2006

Santa Baby

We went to the obligatory breakfast with Santa this past Saturday. My son was giddy with joy. He was so anxious to ask Santa for a skateboard* and helmet that he just could not wait his turn. As soon as the first child left Santa's lap, he burst out of his chair and practically attacked poor Santa with a rally cry of "SKAAAAAAAAAATEBOOOOOOOARD and helmet. " Luckily, Santa had a sense of humor. Santa ho ho ho'ed a bit until he was able to regain his composure and listen to the rest of the list. My daughter, on the other hand, was entranced by Santa only from a distance. She kept a 3' perimeter at all times and mostly succeeded in peeking at Santa from behind her brother. All morning long, I'd been vainly attempting to teach her ho ho ho. But she said nothing to Santa at all, beyond "no" and "sit" and "no sit." Until we got home, that is. Now, every time she sees a santa anywhere, she emits one deep, jolly "HO." Just one. Spunkygirl is not one to overstate the matter. * I'm distressed and undecided about the skateboard. Santa is welcome to bring the helmet. But a skateboard? For a five year old boy? My heart cannot take that kind of terror. My heart also cannot take the thought of his disappointment on Christmas morning should Santa not bring the skateboard. I cannot decide what to do and am vainly hoping that my husband takes the decision out of my hands.

1 comment:

Lisa @ The Plain-Spoken Pen said...

Oh, a skateboard. I don't envy you having to make that kind of decision. {{{{HUGS}}}}